Avocados are so hot right now—and for very good reason. Not only are they creamy, delicious, and versatile; they’re also insanely nutritious. If you’re not already mad about avo, here’s why you should be.
1. You can eat avocados with almost anything. Yes, really. Sweet, savory, alcoholic?!—you name it.
- Add avocado to smoothies or soups for a thicker, creamier consistency.
- Use them to top sandwiches, salads, or scrambles.
- Work them into baked goods or ice cream, or even shake up an avocado martini.
- Make them part of your beauty routine with this easy avocado face mask.
2. You can get creative with them. Avos are a great medium for edible (read: instagram-worthy) art masterpieces. Whether they’re beautifully sliced on toast, carved into a rose or layered in sushi, avocado can be chopped and molded to your heart’s desire. Start with this handy avocado-cutting trick.
3. They’re full of heart-healthy fats. Avocados are full of monounsaturated fatty acids, which may help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol levels and lower your risk of heart disease.
4. They’re nutrient-dense. These creamy fruits are packed with powerful antioxidants that may help delay or prevent cell damage. They’re also full of vitamin B6 (for brain function), vitamin E (for red blood cell production), and K (for blood coagulation and bone health).
5. They can help keep you full. Just one avocado has 9 grams of fiber, which is about 30% of the recommended daily value. Fiber not only helps keep you full, but it’s also essential for a healthy digestive system and may help reduce the risk of various conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.
Ready to jump on the avocado train? We thought so. Here’s how you know your avocado is ripe and ready to eat.
Are you on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter? We’d love to see your avocado creations. Tag (and follow!) us @HealthiNation.
All rights reserved.
WBOC.com DelmarvaLife Media Kit eats + drinks Outdoors Delmarva WBOC Classifieds MD Digital Political Ad Disclosures